Home Fire Safety Tips
Keeping your home safe from fires should be a top priority. Fires are destructive to property and can be deadly. While fire safety is a very broad topic, there are things you can do to keep your home and family safe. Here are a few fire safety tips for your home.
One of the most basic fire safety tips is to make sure you have working smoke alarms in your house because they provide an early warning in case of fire. Smoke alarms should be placed on every level of the home, inside each bedroom, and outside every sleeping area. Also, make sure you have devices in the basement, garage, and attic. Test your smoke detectors once a month to verify they are functioning properly. The general recommendation is to replace the batteries every six months and replace the alarm itself every ten years.
Make sure you have fire extinguishers in your home and learn how to use them. However, taking steps to prevent fire is easier than combating one. Here are a few simple ways you can prevent a fire in your home:
- Have your fireplace, chimney, or wood stove inspected and cleaned once every year.
- When cooking on the grill, keep it at least five feet from your house and away from shrubs and bushes.
- Don’t use space heaters near anything flammable. Turn them off when leaving the room or when you go to bed.
- Never leave a fire in the fire pit unattended.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on every floor of your home in places that are easy to access.
- Teach children that matches and lighters are tools, not toys.
Create a Home Fire Safety Plan
Another important aspect of fire safety is to have an escape plan. You and your family should agree on a place to meet outside the home should a fire occur. Also, discuss escape routes from the home. The fire might block doors, so windows may need to be used as an escape point. Have window ladders accessible if some of the bedrooms in your home are on an upper level. Plan and practice these exits. If you have kids, talk to them about fire safety, including how to call the fire department. Every adult in the home and older children should become familiar with how to use a fire extinguisher.
Phoenix Property Inspections provides home inspection services to San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura counties in California. Contact us to schedule an appointment.