Electrical issues in homes are one of the most common causes of fires. Keep your family and home safe by taking steps to promote safety. Maintaining your home’s electrical system goes a long way in preventing disaster. Here are 6 tips for electrical safety.

Don’t Overload Outlets

Overloading electrical outlets is a common mistake. Be conscious of how you use electrical outlets in your home. Don’t plug too many devices into a single outlet. Be aware of the wattage of appliances and devices and make sure your outlets can handle the electrical load necessary to power the things that are plugged in.

Using Extension Cords

Only use extension cords when absolutely necessary, as they are not intended for long-term use. If you find yourself frequently needing an extension cord, call an electrician to install additional outlets. Keep cords out of walkways and never run them under carpets. The insulative covering can become damaged and cause wires to become exposed, which is a fire hazard.

Unplug Unused Appliances for Electrical Safety

Unplugging appliances may be the easiest safety precaution to take in your home. If you’re not using an appliance or electronic device, unplug it. You’ll save energy and reduce the risk of a fire occurring. In case of a power surge, appliances are safe from damage when they’re not plugged in.

Follow Manufacturer’s Instructions

Always read the instructions on how to operate the appliance or device. Learn the manufacturer’s recommendations for the maintenance of the device. Proper care and cleaning of an appliance are important to prevent damage to the device and prolong its lifespan.

Keep Appliances Away From Water

Water combined with electricity can cause electric shock and damage to your appliance. Keep all electronics and household appliances away from water. Dry your hands when plugging anything into the wall. Water can cause a short circuit that may lead to injury or fire.

Allow for Adequate Ventilation for Electrical Safety

Exhaust fans are an important part of any appliance that generates heat. Keep exhaust vents free of dust and pet hair and don’t use appliances in enclosed locations. Blocked exhaust vents will lead to overheating and damage to the appliance. It could also cause a fire. Make sure all of your household appliances have plenty of airspace around them for good ventilation.

To prevent accidents, don’t use appliances around water. Take care to not overload outlets and only use extension cords when absolutely necessary. If you suspect an electrical problem, contact a professional to troubleshoot the issue and make repairs.

Phoenix Property Inspections offers inspection to customers in San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura counties in California. Contact us to request our services.